22.6.09

Gehard Richter at The NPG





It's a month ago since I went to this show but I've been lame about writing it up on my blog. It featured some of Richter's portrait paintings from the 60's 70's and 80's. I really liked the paintings which appear to be giant versions of photographs except the focus is skewed. The eye never quite settles and the distance you stand away from the paintings can totally change your viewing experience. I thought the exhibition was a little too small and was disappointed to come to the end after only three small rooms. My favourite pieces in the show were the three nudes of his second wife (top and second from top pic). This is what it says on his website related to the type of work you could see in this show:

'These blurred paintings of photographs are close to reality but also contain a nostalgic distance, because the eye can never precisely capture the image being viewed, rather like trying to remember the features of a person whom one hasn't seen for a while. Only the outline is remembered, and the rest blurred. With his photo-based paintings of regular images, Richter has tried to subvert the hierarchy of art and the everyday. "I believe in nothing", he has said.' The exhibition is on tour.