22.6.09

Picasso 'Challenging the Past' Exhibition at the NG London





My Dad visited me in London for the first time at the beginning of June and he had one request, to go to the Picasso exhibition. I've been to several Picasso exhibitions mainly in his various studios along the French Riviera and in Barcelona. This collection for the 'Challenging the Past' exhibition focused on Picasso's fascination with the Old Masters. It was a really interesting side of Picasso I hadn't thought about before and it just shows you that even he worked in the styles of others and directly painted his own versions of famous portraits and self portraits.

It wasn't my favorite Picasso exhibition ever but it made for a fascinating two hours. My dad and I desperately trying to get to grips with our audio guides which we treat ourselves to so we could sound all knowledgeable and cultured when we left the exhibit!

Picasso's paintings in the Fondation Maeght in St Paul de Vence are my favorites. Also the Picasso museum in Antibes part of which shows photos of Picasso working on the canvases in the studio itself.